IKO ACCREDITED SCHOOL - Colona Watersports is an IKO (International Kiteboarding Organistation) approved school and we teach all of our courses according to IKO standards. Our courses are open to anyone from the age of 12 and above. (Guardians signature required for students under 18 years of age.)
All courses are conducted in our designated upwind training bay away from the advanced kiting zones. The lagoon is knee to chest deep and this large area allows you to take long runs during your turn on the kite. As you progress through the course you can blast out to the sand bar 300 meters off shore.
Lessons can start from between 9.30am and 2 pm depending on the wind conditions during that day. The lessons can be between 3- 5 hours per day depending on the student, instructor and conditions of wind in that week. During lessons we work in a group of 4 students and 2 kites per instructor as laid down by the IKO. (unless you book 1:1 or 2:1 – Private/Semi-Private)
Kiteboarding safe and easy!
- With the IKO teaching method, you learn according to your skill level, knowledge and rhythm. The courses are specially taught to give you the best results in the shortest time to ensure you’re ready to kiteboard. Our professionally qualified IKO Instructors conduct our courses in English, German, Italian and Russian. Have confidence in our instructors; they know how to evaluate your potential and help you to progress at your own pace without losing any time. At the end of your course you will receive your IKO Kiteboarder certification card, documenting your skill level.
ITC - Instructor Training Courses
Become a Kiteboarding Instructor
Because you are addicted kiteboarders and want to share your passion and knowledge with others, IKO offers you the possibility to be trained as a pro instructor and make your passion your job.
A solid training program
IKO offers a reliable and professional training program. Instructors become IKO certified by attending the 5 days Instructor Training Course (ITC). The training program corresponds precisely to kiteboarding teaching methods. The certification is recognized as the international standard in teaching. At the end of the training, you will have developed abilities in the following major areas: safety, practical environment, analysis, technique, teaching psychology and live situation. After attending an ITC, you will be qualified as IKO Instructor level 1 and will be able to continue your pro training. To keep a high quality teaching, all instructors level 1 must request to pass their level 2 within two years following their training.
Your benefits with IKO
• Get an International Diploma that will allow you to teach worldwide
• Apply for an international insurance specific to teaching kiteboarding
• Benefit of teaching tools that are constantly updated
• Certify the level of your trainees with the Kiteboarder Card
• Receive the Pro Newsletter and Flash
• Apply for a job in the pro area
• Get the IKO Kiteboarding Center affiliation for your school
• Become level 2 instructor
• Be at least 18 years old
• Be a kiteboarder level 3 for at least 6 months
• Be able to perform a jump, perform a controlled turn and switch riding, ride constantly up wind and ride between other riders
• Have an IKO assistant instructor certification or provide an attestation (letter of recommendation) of a teaching experience in a water or aerial sport
• Have a valid first aid certificate
• Have a powerboat license or equivalent skill level if no obligatory license is required in the home country
You will need to fill in the registration form complete with credit card details to confirm your place
We often have requests from the students to stay on and do their requested teaching hours work experience with us. This is called EEP (Extended Education Programme) after you do the course the instructor will tell you how many work experience hours you need to teach for before you are fully qualified. Please let me know if this is something you are interested in?
As for the boat license you only need to have this if you wish to teach in the UK. We have rescue boats here and using these will be part of the course.
The first aid course you can either do before you start the course in your home country or you can book and EFR course with Colona Divers. The course takes 1 day and costs 130 Euro. It is advised that you buy a basic first aid book to keep with you for future reference. Please let me know if I should book you on the course.
Learn how to Kitesurf in just 4 days!
Kitesurfing is safe and easy to learn. After a basic course you will be competent to Kite alone safely. The IKO Level I+II course is all you need to become a safely educated independent kiteboarder.
Today you will learn the theory of the wind and how to set up your equipment. You will also get to fly and handle a training kite on the beach. Later on in the day you will learn self-rescue techniques and how to pack down your equipment in the water.
Now it is time to get familiar with the kites that you will be using on the water. You will learn all about the control bar, lines and safety systems. After this you will fly the kite in the lagoon and practice body dragging and launching and landing the kite with assistance.
Today you will continue to fly the kite and improve your skills. When you know how to control the kite and launch it from the water you will start body dragging with power. This is when you get to feel the real power of the kite!
This is the last day of your course and it is time to get on the board. First you will practice on land to get the feel for the board start and then you’ll move on to the water. It may take a few attempts but soon you will be up on the board riding. Congratulations. You are now a qualified kiteboarder!